Subject: [Leica] Does anyone have a simple way to explain this
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:02:58 -0500
References: <mailman.917.1290824007.88697.lug@leica-users.org> <SNT121-DS16E46738E4FE5B858045AAD4220@phx.gbl> <20101126220117.206a9266@linux-ujdg.site> <AANLkTinjYyViLfbxcnRo3ugDLe4UPg=vC+-f=t2aYJzk@mail.gmail.com> <20101126230515.23afeb7c@linux-ujdg.site> <61c2518512a72d9fb9d1ae315bffdaba.squirrel@emailmg.globat.com> <483846FA-6347-4E8D-9D8F-F17D22218E47@gmail.com> <d47d290fe5950e711f229febb0951a5b.squirrel@emailmg.globat.com>

It seems like diffraction is related to the absolute size of the
aperture rather than the F-stop which is a ratio. A long focal length
can be stopped down to F45 or F64 on a large format sensor. On a pocket
digicam with a real short focal length they rarely go smaller than F8. I
have a small video camera at work with 1/2 inch chips and there is a
noticeable drop in sharpness past F8. I hadn't noticed this as much with
the larger 2/3 inch vid cameras.

Mike D

On 11/28/10 1:58 AM, afirkin at afirkin.com wrote:
> Its the potential to cause problems with the photographic image and esp.
> now with digital sensors which interests me. Not that many of my lenes
> will stop down below f16/ f22 and mostly I'll use f8 or wider, but with
> the creek shots etc I was using f22 to increase exposure. Perhaps I'd be
> better with some ND filters.
>
> Cheers
>
> Alastair
>
>> Diffraction occurs on the edge of the iris diaphragm. Because the diameter
>> of the aperture opening is determined by 2??r but the area of the aperture
>> is determined by ??r??, the greater the radius, the greater the
>> area:diameter ratio. Thus, the smaller the radius of the aperture, the
>> greater the impact of diffraction. The shorter the wavelength, the less
>> the diffraction, but it isn't much of a factor until you get to
>> 1,000-power on a microscope.
>>

>> On Nov 27, 2010, at 6:11 PM, afirkin at afirkin.com wrote:
>>
>>> Diffraction Limits:
>>>
>>> The diffraction limit is dependent on the wavelength of the light and
>>> the
>>> f-stop.   It is calculated as the size of an Airy disk (Sir George