Subject: [Leica] Portfolio review in Atlanta
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:34:08 -0400

I am not a native of Atlanta but my son and daughter in law live there and
we visit regularly. Atlanta is one part urban metropolis surrounded by a
cluster of small towns. The city sort of just grew, adding idiosyncratic
communities to a central downtown area. If you take your camera, you will
find unique scenes to photograph in every area. Atlanta boasts a number of
well known spots. There is the High Art Museum, very modern in architecture,
but with a middling permanent collection of paintings. Once in a while a
really great traveling show appears. If you are a news junkie the CNN
headquarters is a popular visitors destination. Watch news reporting in
action. Coca Cola headquarters is in the downtown area too. The mecca for
soft drink lovers. Free Cokes too. One of the high spots is the new Atlanta
Aquarium. It's the best that my marine biologist grandaughter has ever seen.
And big too. If you travel around the city with a native, you will probably
be dragged to Stone Mountain, a huge granite outcropping carved in the
likeness of Confederate generals. It's the South's answer to Mt. Rushmore.
Otherwise good shopping, good eating, plenty of antebellum houses - and if
you come down with a rare illness it's the home of the Center of Disease
Control.

To my mind, the best part of Atlanta is getting there. When we visit on
Thanksgiving, we take a leisurely drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Now
that's something to see!

Larry Z

- - - - -