Subject: [Leica] crash safety (was Re: S2 vs. 645D)
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:13:28 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Chris Crawford wrote:

>Don't believe everything the government tells you. In 2000, I was driving
>my 1991 Chevy Caprice down West Jefferson Boulevard, Fort Wayne's main
>east-west road. Speed limit on the highway is 50mph, and I was going close
>to that when a woman who was high on pot ran a stop light and pulled into
>an intersection I was passing through. I slammed on my brakes and my car
>crashed directly into the side of her Ford Tempo, a small car. My car
>caved in the side of her car and pushed it 50 feet off the road. My car
>was smashed a bit in the front but was still driveable. I drove it home!

A single anecdote no matter how meaningful to you does little to predict the
outcome of future unknown accidents.  We can't predict with 100% accuracy
any particular accident, the severity of each one or the outcome of any
single event but over time by accumulating data from numerous incidents
patterns can appear.  That's what the NHTSA data is supposed to represent.

OTOH if your particular driving habits include a greater-than-average
incidence of crossing intersections when someone else is rolling through a
stop sign then your anecdote has some value in predicting your future
accidents.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com