Subject: [Leica] Three NEX-7 images
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:28:47 -0400

Sorry to be lurking so long but the Nex-7 is the bee's knees.  I've had
mine since early February and have used it almost exclusively with M
lenses.  The trick to using it is to set it to manual focus then select
focus peaking in the menu; you can select red, blue or yellow.  What this
does is outline what is in focus with the chosen color.  Other choices are
to select which dial to use to set up ISO(I've chosen the rear ring), which
to set exposure compensation(I've chosen the upper right dial) leaving the
upper left dial to control flash compensation.

The advantages are that you can see what is in focus but also a good idea
of what the depth of field will be.  The viewfinder also gains up so you an
effectively focus at F11 in a dim room.  It also takes into account focus
shift which is being discussed in relation to the 75 lux or the Noctilux.

So, setting the viewfinder to display information you can take an image
then see it replay immediately and change settings on the fly while
recomposing.  Once you have what you want you can go back to a clean
viewfinder and shoot M style.  Turning off replay lets you shoot at truly
stupidly fast speeds.

Oh, and you can set rear curtain only shutter which gets shutter lag down
to M3 immediacy.

Downsides would be an antialiasing filter which does diminish image detail
and at ISO's over 3200 noise in the shadows becomes something you need to
deal with.  The APS-C sensor also makes wide angle shooting better left to
an M9; here I'm talking about 12's to 18's.

You might say I'm a fan.

Now back to lurking.