Subject: [Leica] What To Do With A Lens With Fungus?
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 08:57:11 +0530

If the fungus has not spread too much, the lens can be cleaned quite easily
by any technician. It can be arrested by leaving it out in the sun for a
week or so. The biggest ally of fungus is dank and dark spaces, and the
biggest enemy is sunlight. Another way of reducing the risk of
contamination of the front lens element, the usual place fungus takes hold
at first, is to use any unwanted filter on it while storing the lens. The
fungus will tend to grow on the filter first, which can be easily cleaned
with soap and water.

It is very common here in Chennai, with a hot and humid greenhouse climate.
Most of us store equipment in a humidity controlled storage cabinets
because of this reason. Otherwise, store equipment in a ziplock bag with
sufficient silica gel inside, and periodically heat and recharge the silica
gel.

I saw a nifty bit of equipment in B&H the other day, which makes using
silica gel quite convenient:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1377864-REG/ruggard_pdc_rd_portable_dry_case_renewable.html

Cheers
Jayanand