To: leica-users
Subject: lenses
From: Jeffrey Frey <jeff@eng.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1992 09:35:25 -0400

I too have been looking for a good Summicron in screw mount.  Does
anyone have a real quantitative idea of how good this lens is?  That
requires testing a few with real charts and averaging the results.  Then
of course the results would have to be compared with similar tests
on other lenses.  Japanese magazines used to print beautiful contour
maps of resolution over the 24 X 36 frame for various lenses.  Trouble
was, they only tested one lens of each type.  Now, if I could only find
those articles of thirty years ago....

I always thought my 2.8 collapsible Elmar was a terrific lens, although
I never tested it in the recommended manner.  Any experiences, then,
with the 50/1.4 Canon, 50/1.8 Serenar, 50/2 Cooke, 50/1.4 Nikon, 50/2
Nikon?  Is the Summitar really comparable to the Summicron?

Jeff