To: Ihtisham.Kabir@Eng.Sun.COM (Ihtisham Kabir)
Subject: Re: misc. optics
From: schooler@apollo.hp.com
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 92 09:22:07 -0400
Cc: leica-users

 > I'd like to know if there is some foolproof method of buying
 > used glass. For starters, who would be a reputable dealer?
 > Also, where can I get the bayonet adapter for my M4 and M6?
 > Will the frame in the finder change for the different focal
 > lengths like they do for Leica lenses? Will focusing and
 > parallax correction still work?

I don't know about foolproof, but I've had pretty good luck with the
more collector-oriented dealers in Shutterbug and now Camera Shopper.
These should also sell the screw-to-bayonet adapters (getting a little
heard to find and expensive: $35/per so so?), which come in three
flavours, one for each viewfinder setting, so yes, if you've got the
appropriate adapter on your screw-mount lenses, the frames will
switch.  In any case, the focusing and parallax correction will work
perfectly, since Leica arranged compatibility for their own lenses,
and Canon, et. al., are perfectly compatible with screwmount Leica.
(A nice feature which we seem to have lost these days!)

        -- Richard