To: leica-users
Subject: Canon rangefinders
From: jack <jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 92 20:28:37 BST

Jeffrey Frey mentioned the Canon rangefinder cameras, expressing a
preference for the 7 and 7s.  These occasionally turn up here, at
phenomenal prices.  I'm tempted by these as an upgrade from my Leica IIIa;
having the rangefinder and viewfinder combined would be a great help (i.e.
I could get most of what a Leica M-series camera would give me without
fiddling about with adapters for my existing screw lenses).  So, a few
questions:

- which model introduced the combined rangefinder/viewfinder?  The IVSB is
  the cheapest one on the second-hand market but I think it may predate this
  feature.

- how reliable is the fast winder on the VT and VIT?

- do the rangefinders maintain their accuracy?

- what focal lengths do you get frames for?

The only one of these things I've ever handled was a VT, about a year
ago, which I didn't buy because something rather drastic had obviously
befallen it (internal light baffle badly squished).

and Phooey! on Jeff's remark that medium-format things aren't real
rangefinders...  I've heard of a rangefinder on the Leica plan that
took rolls of 5-inch aero film, anyone know what that was?

--  Jack Campin    room G092, Computing Science Department, Glasgow University,
17 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, Scotland   TEL: 041 339 8855 x6854 (work)
INTERNET: jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk or via nsfnet-relay.ac.uk    FAX: 041 330 4913
BANG!net: via mcsun and uknet     BITNET: via UKACRL    UUCP: jack@glasgow.uucp

Replies: Reply from schooler@apollo.hp.com (Canon rangefinders)