To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Coating; replacement?
From: Jeffrey Frey <jeff@eng.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1993 13:47:10 -0500

I finally found a 50mm collapsible screw-mount Summicron mostly to my liking
and bought it, but am having some second thoughts since there appears to be
some cloudiness all over the front element.  This might be due to over-polishing;
the lens does not seem to be otherwise abused (mechanically it is very nice
and the mechanicals are nice and stiff).  Does one in such a case have the
front element finely polished, then recoated?  Is it necessary to go back
to Leitz for this, or is there a reputable craftsperson closer, maybe
cheaper?

Incidentally, I also finally got the Yashica YF I wanted when I was 20,
many years ago.  It's not as nice as I'd like (why DO people nick up the
right-angle surfaces) but it works quite well and wasn't all that expensive.

Jeff