To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Japanese RF
From: kbb0@gte.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1993 09:37:46 -0500

> > From: James J Dempsey <jjd@spserv.bbn.com>
> >
> > In the editor's column in Shutterbug a couple of months ago, the
> > editor mentioned that he knew of a major Japanese camera company,
> > known for their pro SLR equipment, that was going to be coming out
> > with a new pro-oriented 35mm rangefinder camera with interchangeable
> > lenses.  I seem to recall he said it would be within a year.
> >
> > [...]
>
> I've read other reports on this and as I remember
> it was Nikon and that they were planning on making
> it compatible with their existing lenses.
>
> Greg Parkinson
>
> ----- End Included Message -----
>
> It seems like this discussion occured recently, I don't know if it was
> in this particular alias or not...
>
> I don't see how it could be compatible with the existing Nikon lenses,
> unless the rangefinder lenses were made gigantic (for a rangefinder).
> Although a 35mm lens on a Nikon might seem compact, a 35/2M is positively
> miniature by comparison.  That is, a rangefinder lens, to fit on an SLR
> body, would be way too big for a rangefinder lens (not to mention the
> elements would be too far from the film plane, because of the mirror box;
> you'd give up automatic aperture...).  And who would want to put something
> as large as an SLR lens on a petite rangefinder body (not to mention, where
> are the rangefinder cam guides?).

While it is true that some M-series lenses are considerably smaller than
their SLR counterparts, I'm really wondering what aspect of the market a
camera like this will address. Size and lens design flexibility may not be
the primary concern.  Some other advantages that make RFs attractive
are shorter shutter delay, lower noise level and no viewfinder black out.
While I haven't used one, I had thought that the EOS
RT had addressed these aspects pretty successfully. If Nikon saw sufficient
interest in the benefits offered by the RT then an RF seems like a way of
offering the similar advantages without playing "me too".

There was a thread in rec.photo about this several months ago and some
speculation was made about feasability of such a beast. For the most
part, the ideas added up to a pretty plausible offering:

	- AF of various flavors (exists in current SLR line)
	- manual focus with electronic RF (exists in current SLR line but
	several thought some enhancements would be useful, e.g. indication
	of distance or degree of travel required)
	- multiple auto-exposure modes (exists ...)
	- multiple manual metering modes (exists ...)
	- incorporated winder (exists ...)
	- quiet shutter (quieter ones under development?)
	- compatability with SLR lenses (Allows auto exposure modes at the
	expense of a "thicker" body or maybe a collapsible mount a la Mamiya
	6?)

> If there is anything to this, what I see is an autofocus P&S body that
> can take Nikkor SLR lenses.  Kind of an entry-level way to enter the
> Nikkor lens family.  But it wouldn't be a true optical rangefinder camera
> in that sense.  But what do I know?
>
> 	Dave

I'm sure I've left a few things out and there will be more good ideas as
well. For me, since I am not invested in the EOS line, a Nikon offering
would be of interest. I think that many camera companies who are heavily
"invested" in electronic enhancements will be lookig for ways to reuse
this technology and will not be offering as many of the the opto-mechanical
options if they can help it.

Regards, Kevin "Pardon me, I have to send my M6 in for a rangefinder
		 adjustment" Burke :)