To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leicas by mail-order?
From: Mico Loretan <mico@rainbow.econ.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 11:46:50 -0500
Cc: mico@rainbow.econ.virginia.edu

Greetings!

	This may seem like a prepostorous thing for some of you
to even think about: How good are the mail-order discounters that
sell Leicas?  For example, do they sell bodies and lenses with the
same warranties as the full-price outlets?  Or are the "gray market"
items that no Leica repair place will ever touch in the future?

	I noticed an ad in pop.photog. by "Smile" in New York,
with prices that are 25% to 33% below the usual list prices.  Any
comments on the reputation of Smile, or other discounters?

	I'll summarize all replies and comments to this list.

Sincerely

Mico Loretan

Mico Loretan
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Economics
University of Virginia					  Tel (804) 924-7845
114 Rouss Hall						  Fax (804) 982-2904
Charlottesville, VA 22901	       email: mico@rainbow.econ.virginia.edu