To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: begining user questions
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 00:54:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: gang@mtdcr.att.com, jan@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

If you think IIIGs are expensive, have you priced a screw-mount 35mm
Summicron? providing you can find one, that is.

On Thu, 13 Oct 1994, Chris
Kantarjiev wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:55:00 PDT
> From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>
> To: gang@mtdcr.att.com
> Cc: jan@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: begining user questions
>
> 	So why not just get a M3 (or M2, M4 etc)
> 	which is a better camera anyway unless you want the size of IIIg, in
> 	which case, a IIIf + viewfinder (for 90mm lens) will do what IIIg does.
>
> Short answer: because I'm a crank.
>
> I want the size - my main photographic activity these days is
> automobile races. This is meant to be a companion camera to my Canon F1
> SLR which will have a large telephoto attached. I want a small body
> with a 35mm (hopefully an f2 Summicron) for wide angle/close in shots.
>
> A IIIf with finder would probably be OK, and may be what I end up with;
> apparently the big concern there is the need to hand cut the long film
> leader tongue.
>
> The M series just isn't a "real Leica" to me - see the above about "I'm
> a crank". If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it with a screw
> mount body. (I also wear a mechanical watch and use a Curta
> "peppermill" calculator to balance my checkbook. Like I said, I'm a crank.)
>
> This also applies to the very practical suggestion of using a Canon 7,
> which solves all of the IIIf's and IIIg's "problems"...

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933

Replies: Reply from Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com> (Re: begining user questions)