To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Discontinued R series
From: SMorimoto@eworld.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 08:08:08 -0700

Saw a post about the discontinuation of the R series Leica. Posted it on
Compuserve. Here are some of the responses:

Section: 35mm Cameras [3]
Forum: The Photography+
Date: Tue, Jul 18, 1995, 1:28:19 PM

I have checked with Leica, and there is absolutly no truth to this story.

Among the response that I received, was that a reply is not even worth the
time it would take to do so.

It looks like another practical joke by a sick individual with a limited
sense of humour...or lack of one.

Section: 35mm Cameras [3]
Forum: The Photography+
Date: Tue, Jul 18, 1995, 7:55:00 PM

The real tipoff is the '7 JULY 1996' media advisory date. I have never seen a
release sent out 1 year in advance! Someone's trying to pull the wool over
everyone else's eyes!

Section: 35mm Cameras [3]
Forum: The Photography+
Date: Tue, Jul 18, 1995, 9:27:13 PM

<<I have never seen a release sent out 1 year in advance! Someone's trying to
pull the wool over everyone else's eyes! John>>

Also

Photokina is in '96 and Leica is in Solms.

Len

Section: 35mm Cameras [3]
Forum: The Photography+
Date: Tue, Jul 18, 1995, 2:38:01 PM

Hi all,

       It is interesting to note that this "advisory" message comes from
Wetzlar, Germany.  Leica has not been quartered in Wetzlar for years. Leica's
headquarters is in Solms, Germany.

Section: 35mm Cameras [3]
Forum: The Photography+
Date: Tue, Jul 18, 1995, 3:11:21 PM

It is with great interest that I read your Media Advisory Notice that you
posted to the forum.  I am very curious as to the source of this information.
 There are several inconsistencies in this story which would imply that this
information did not come from a reliable source let alone from Leica GMBH.
 First of all, the company has not been based in Wetzlar for several years,
but is located in Solms which is nearby Wetzlar.  Secondly, the R-E has been
discontinued since the beginning of this year,  the R5 and R6 have been
dicontinued for three years.  The current models of the Leica R camera are
the R6.2 and the R7.  I think Leica would know which of their cameras are
current models and not list those which have already been discontinued for
several years.  The third point is that Photokina is held every other year,
on even numbered years.  The next Photokina will be held in the fall of 1996,
not 1997.
If you want some real Leica news, I received a fax today from Leica telling
us that the 35/1.4 M Summilux lens (cat. # 11870) has been discontinued and
that the 35/1.4 Summilux-ASPH (cat. #11874) will replace this lens.  All
current backorders will be filled with the Aspherical lens.