To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: RE: 135mm for screw mount + finder
From: "G. Huang" <gang@mtdcr.mt.att.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 09:00:29 PDT

>I am looking at getting a 135 mm lens for my IIIc.
>The questions I have are:
>
>	- Any opinions on the sharpness etc of the various 135mm lenses.

I like the Elmar 135/f4. They are very compact and light weight but not cheap.
I traded mine in for an M3 body. Now for 135mm, I use Canon 135/f3.5. It's
quite heavy. The sharpness is about the same as the Elmar. Canons are about
$50-$75. One other lens is the f/4.5 Hektor, which is common and inexpensive
but I never used it.

>	- Viewfinder options.  The multi-focal length viewfinder
>	  uses a moving shutter arrangement to adjust for the lenses.
>	  What about the dedicated single focal length viewfinders?
>	  Are these of different magnifications, or are they simply
>	  a set magnification with an appropriate mask?  I think
>	  the viewfinder image may be too small for accurate framing
>	  unless the 135mm viewfinder has a greater magnification.

I would get a multi-focal length type. They are almost as cheap as the fixeed
type yet allows you to used lenses of other F.L. Imarect is the most common
universal viewfinder with fixed magnification and adjustable mask.

G. Huang
AT&T Bell Laboratories
E-mail: gang@mtdcr.att.com
Date: 08/31/95