To: ewelch@gp.magick.net
Subject: Apo Telyt R 1:4/280 (was Re: Summicron 35mm)
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <HUBERTN@ctr.co.at>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 17:56:17 +0100
Cc: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

Friends,
I've tested the Apo Telyt R 1:4/280 and it was really handy, easy to
use and sharp. But it was _not_ delivering correct colors; in fact,
white turned out to be of some slight yellowish brown (which is a
typical Leitz color distortion, BTW).
So I rejected this lens for color slide photography.
HTH
Have a nice day
Hubert
> > From:          Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
> > To:            Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
> > Date:          Thu, 2 Nov 1995 23:39:20 PST
> > Subject:       Re: Summicron 35mm

> ** Reply to note from sachse@msc.cornell.edu 11/02/95  9:25pm -0500
> > Eric makes several good points but I think there's also a
> > 	bit of marketing involved. My guess is that Leica is probably
> > 	not aiming the Apo telyt for the typical hobbyist.
>
> Everyone I've talked to who has used the 280 f/4 Apo telyt indicate it
> is a stunning lens performance wise- even for closeups. In fact, a
> friend that attended a lecture where a Leica designer was at showing
> MTF curves, the 280 f/4 Apo Telty is as close to diffraction limited as
> any lens could possibly be.
>
> That means that the only thing stopping down does is increase depth of
> field and diffraction. It is optimum wide open.
>

> Regards,
>
> Eric Welch
> Grants Pass, OR

* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1070 Wien/Vienna, Neubaugasse 76 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 526 63 63 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 526 63 63 - 63
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/