To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Thanx for info. on Summaron 35
From: jvr@animal.inescn.pt (Joao Ranito)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 14:56:35 +0100

Thanx for all the information I got on my question on Summaron!

a) the lens hood is the culprit
b) every lens (even Leitz!) vignetts a bit wide-open and underexposure makes
it worse

I think that b) is probably the correct answer, since I was using the
correct lens hood (at least it said so in the hood!) and the problem got
better at smaller apertures (by 5.6 it was barely noticeable in Velvia).

Anyway, please don't get me wrong, Summaron IS a very nice lens for the
price! And I am not planning to use it for slides, so I just have to be
careful while printing B&W. And I will use it at f4. And use TMAX 400
instead of 100. And keep the lens hood, because flare is worse than
vignetting! And I'll be happy!!

I have one more problem with the Leica stuff I got: I have been only using
it for 6 months and, suddenly, my good old and beloved Nikon FM2n seems a
bit too awkward, noisy and plasticky! Damned, what will happen in two
years?!?!? Will I sell it, together with the Nikkor lenses, to get the
Summicron? Damn the Leicas! <G>

Well, thanx again for your cooperation!

Joao, a VERY happy Leica user

Joao

Joao Vasco Ranito
INESC - Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores
Centro de Sistemas de Informacao - Porto
Largo Mompilher 22
4000 Porto
PORTUGAL

Phone : +351 2 2094030