To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Let's hear it from the old-timers
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 95 14:46:26 -0800

corkflor@iol.ie (Alex Hurst) wrote:
> I can't remember the last time I saw someone using a screw
> Leica - are they really all in collectors' showcases?

I use a IIIa quite a bit, but mainly with a non-Leica lens; the Canon
50mm/1.4 made for their line of screwmount cameras.  This is *really*
nice, probably the sharpest lens I've ever used.  I'd rather be using
an M4 or M6 but there's no way I can afford one.  The IIIa's rangefinder
is horrible - the only worse one I've ever had to use was on a prewar Zeiss
Super Ikonta - but as I mostly eyeball the focus anyway, it doesn't matter
a lot.  The built-in viewfinder is a joke too, but the VIDOM add-on finder
is great for somebody who wears glasses.

I'd probably move to the Canon VI or VII if I could afford one of those;
they're priced in same league as M Leicas here.  (I tried a IVSB once -
its viewfinder is even worse than the IIIa's).

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE