To: MBell@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU (Michael Bell), leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 DS problems, questions
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 96 07:22 WET

Sounds right on the rangefinder. A couple of years ago Leica quoted me $350
+ labor to replace the rangefinder on my M2. The duel range summicron is
worth $450 at least and more depending on condition, but it would have to be
mint ot get $1000.

If you paid $350 for this outfit recetnly, then you stole it. I should be so
lucky.

kw

At 03:58 PM 1/9/96 -0600, Michael Bell wrote:
>Well, things are slow, so I've screwed up the courage to post to the list.
>I am neither a professional photographer nor a collector, so I tend to feel
>a little intimidated on this list.
>
>Anyway, I have an M3 double stroke, one of the real early ones with the
>non-standard shutter speeds.  The lens is a 50/2 Summicron rigid.
>
>First the problem.  The split image that I see in the rangefinder is very
>faint.  It is very difficult to focus unless I have something very bright
>against a dark background to focus on.  A repairman told me it was probably
>the silver flaking off the mirror in the rangefinder and that it would be
>expensive to fix.  Does this sound right, and does anyone know how much it
>would cost to fix?
>
>Regarding the lens, someone told me that it was very valuable because it
>has a feature that, with the proper viewfinder attachment, would allow it
>to be used as a macro lens.  He said it was worth something like $1000 or
>more.  Does this sound right?  I only paid about $350 for both the body and
>the lens.  I'm pretty sure I got a good deal even though the camera needs
>work.  It takes incredible pictures, and I really love it even though it is
>a pain to focus sometimes.  I know I need to send it to Leica, I am just
>afraid about how much it will cost.  I guess to most of you, who spend
>thousands of dollars on a single lens, this cost would seem fairly
>insignificant, but I am kinda poor.  They don't pay us state employees very
>well.
>
>At 30 am I the youngest person on this list?  My M3 is certainly older than
>I am.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Michael Bell
>MBell@mail.utexas.edu

Ken Wilcox		Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
umcc.umcc.umich.edu