To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, stahl@erim.org, Baddawg@eworld.com
Subject: Re[2]: Leica Repairs
From: Pablo_Mendoza@ROOSEVELT-PROVOST.ucsd.edu
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:42:00 -0800

     SKWB,

        For the past 14 years, basically the time I've been using Leicas,
     E.Leitz and now Leica USA has had repair specials on M's, R's, and
     lenses.  These are widely advertised in most photographic
     publications, particularly in Shutterbug and Outdoor Photographer.
     The special is something along the lines of this:

        M Cleaning Lubrication and Adjustment   -       $125.00
        R CLA                                   -       $150.00
        M & R Lens CLA                          -       $ 75.00
        CL  CLA                                 -       $100.00

     The prices are not the actual prices they charge, just examples.  I
     haven't used a special since 1991, so these are really old prices,
     maybe from around the late eighties.

     Anyway, this is a great service, particularly the lenses.  If you have
     ever had to have a lens CLA'd, like I had my old Vivitar Series 1
     90-180 Flat Field Medical Zoom, you'll see that the price is about
     10-20% less than what independents would charge.

     The specials usually are advertised in August or September, to be at
     the tail end of the travel season.

     By the way, I just called my local Leica Dealer, Bob Davis Camera, to
     find out Leica repairs the 13552 swing out polarizer with separation.
     Leica does, for about $180.00.  Cheaper than a new one, but still
     pricey.  I'll be sending mine in soon.

     Hope this is useful.

     Pablo
     pmendoza