To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: non-Leica Nikon Coolscan for sale
From: fred@csgi.com (Fred N. Ward)
Date: 29 Jan 1996 13:59:08 GMT

Fellow Leica users:

For some time I have been putting together my gem book series (7 in print
now) by capitalizing on the desktop revolution. I print all-color, 6X9 inch,
64-page plus covers book on individual gemstones based on the 14-year gem
series I wrote and photographed for National Geographic. I did the computer
layouts from the beginning, and the writing. At first I used a pre-press
house to do the scans of my slides. Since my aim was to have a product with
better reproduction than NGS, which I have done, quality was issue number
one.  After the second book it was clear that pre-press costs were eating me
and my budding publishing company alive. I learned how to scan slides. (I
also experimented with the new Kodak Photo CD technology, but it was
unsuitable then for the quality I needed.)

I did the next four books by scanning in most of the images on a new Nikon
Coolscan slide scanner, a remarkable device that produced amazingly good
images if you learned to work with it. At the time transparency scanners were
$10,000 up to $150,000.  The Nikon external SCSI scanner, capable of use on
either a MAC or PC, was $2600.  I bought one two years ago and have been
delighted with it.

Now I am beginning yet another book (on Opals this time) and have decided
that my publishing company can afford a larger, more expensive, and faster
scanner. Therefore, my Coolscan is for sale for $900, with MAC and PC
software.

If any of you wants to put your Leica images into digital form, make your own
magazines, newsletters, letterheads, posters, or cards, you can scan up to
2700 dpi with the Coolscan, either mounted slides, color negatives, b/w
negatives (in strips or mounted).

I know it is working great because I scanned in my Opal book cover image with
it just this morning.

Let me know if you are interested.  It's Fred Ward:     fred @csgi.com

Also, thank you to the people who did and did not get one of the Leica
freebies from me two weeks ago. Your letters and messages have been
heartwarming.  I was glad to do it and truly appreciate your thoughtful
comments.

Fred

     Sent via digitalNATION Online Services    http://www.dn.net
     Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services
       Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise
      ph:(703) 642-2800   fax: (703) 642-0516 email:info@dn.net