To: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Subject: Re: best 35mm.bayonet?
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 20:36:26 -0500 (EST)
Cc: davidb@bcn.servicom.es, Leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

What is the difference between older 35mm/f2 lenses and later ones. I
have a chrome 35mm/f2, mad in Canada, with infinity lock. It also has a
"convertible" mount; with the removal of a tiny screw and twisting off of
the bayonet mount, it becomes a screw-mount 35mm/f2. However, the bayonet
mount does not resemble the typical screw-to-bayonet Leitz adapters, but
seems ment to be a part of the lens. I bought the lens in 1966, and it
probably was 1-2 years old at the time. Its sharpness is also astounding;
better far than my 35mm/f2 Nikor (vintage 1968).

I also agree about the Tele-Elmarit 90mm/f2.8. Mine is the "fat"
Tele-Elmarit, Canadian made. It has high contrast even wide open, which
for my money is even more important than resolution. However, reports on
the current (heavier and largerP 90mm/f2.8 Elmarit-M claim it is
extremely sharp at all apertures.

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933