To: fred@csgi.com, Leica List <" leica-users"@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: to UV filter or not
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:26:32 -0800

Fred N. Ward wrote:

> All glass is not the same.

Of course not.

In the context of my message, it probably wasn't clear enough. I figured what I said before that
would put it in context. Obviously it didn't. What I was pointing out was that Schott glass,
which is used by most lens manufacturers, is not a sign that Leica is giving up the position they
hold at the top. Leica uses a lot of "generic" glass. It's the exotics they also use that make
their lenses special. So if Hoya or Schott are supplying their glass for some elements, that
means nothing for performance.

I was making the point that like the Canada vs. Wetzlar(Solms) debate, a lot of people worry
about something that doesn't matter.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR