To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 21mm Elmarit 0.4/0.7m close focus?
From: Charles Dharapak <cdhrpk@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:46:21 -0500

Hi. I want to first thank all for their input in the case of the switched
M6 red disk. I'm actually writing from Bangkok so I would have called the
Leica headquarters myself and asked them about it, but alas...

I've come across a used 21mm 2.8 Elmarit (Leitz Canada, #3194916) that has
the closest focus marking at 0.4 meters a co-worker of mine has a later
21mm Elmarit that focuses down to only 0.7 meters (and the focusing scale
is much narrower, if I remember correctly).

Now, I've noticed that the rangefinder does not work beyond the 0.7 meters,
but the cam of the lens indeed keeps going that extra 0.3 meters. Is this a
similar situation with the Dual Range 50mm Summicron (which I have never
used)?

My questions are: Does it indeed focus closer? Why does the later and
current lens only focus to 0.7 meters? Is there an optical/design advantage
between the two?

I apologize in advance if this is all very obvious in some Leica collectors
guide or reference book. I only have access to Eastland's Compendium here
in Bangkok.

And if anyone is ever in this part of the world, I'm a working
photojournalist here and would be happy to give advice over some Singha
beer.

Thanks.

-- Charlie (cdhrpk@pipeline.com)

Replies: Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: 21mm Elmarit 0.4/0.7m close focus?)