To: <FortunkoC@aol.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 Suggestion Box...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 09:28:23 PST

Addressed to: <FortunkoC@aol.com>
              leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

** Reply to note from  <FortunkoC@aol.com> 02/25/96 12:10am -0500
> Did anyone consider that most of our needs may be met by the current Leica
> cameras. Did anyone give up photography, because the performance envelope of
> Leica lenses and bodies is not large enough?

That's what Leica's market research has discovered, according to Leica
Photography. Their customers are very happy the way the M6 is, and automation
will turn a lot of them off. The proof is in the pudding. They can't make M6s
fast enough. They sell as fast as they make them. Only Contax is close to Leica
in profitability in the U.S. right now (both about 30% increase in '94)
according to Leica and Blake Ziegler (guy who "created" the G-1 for Contax and
is their top U.S. rep.). So who would be dumb enough to mess with a great
formula? Not Leica. And their buying up other businesses (including Minox) is
indication they have money to burn! How about a price reduction? (5 per cent?)

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Replies: Reply from Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org> (Re: M6 Suggestion Box...)