To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Zeiss Jena Biotessar f2.8/165mm
From: msmall@roanoke.infi.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 14:31:25 -0500
Cc: jack@purr.demon.co.uk

This particular lens is almost certainly a large-format or scientific lens
from 1929 or 1930.  I would suspect the 39mm flange is a special adaptation.
I believe the "Biotessar" name was subsequently contracted into Biotar;  in
this event, the lens probably has six elements in four groups.

I have taken the liberty of forwarding your original message to Mr Charles M
Barringer, the Zeiss authority par excellence, and will let you know if he
has any reaction.

In any event, thanks for passing the information along -- your lens is most
interesting.  If I have a chance to get it in during the proof stage, I'll
add a mention of it in my forthcoming book on LTM lenses.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!