To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M35 f/2 vs M35 f/1.4 Asph
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 20:22:32 -0500

Laurant,

I'm not able to give you a comparison between the 35MM Summilux and the
Aspheric.  I went looking to buy one last week.  Regretably the Asp. is no
longer available new (apparently less than 1,000 units were ever built), and
I'm told that when you can find one (I checked with my dealer last week),
they are more than USD $5,000 used in ex+ or mint condition.

If one had been sitting on the shelf I might have been tempted, but I did
buy a Summilux and have now been using it for a few days.  If you've seen my
other recent messages here you'll see that I'm currently traveling in
Germany, but will be home (Toronto) over the weekend and hope to have first
results with it then.

>From what I have been told by others, and have read, the Summilux is pretty
soft at f1.4, but by f4.0 is strong, and at mid-apertures as sharp as the
Summicron.  Since what I was looking for was a fast lens for street shooting
when I travel, it seemed worth chosing over the Summicron.  The Asp. would
have been the best of both worlds, but given the price and availability
wasn't a contender.  Certainly the "handling" of the 35mm Suumicron is ideal
as a travel lens.  An M6 wearing it is just about as flat as with a folding
Elmar and fits beautifully in a briefcase.

I'm a "hard marker", so when I get my first results I'll comment on them here.

Michael

At 06:22 PM 13/03/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi there !
>I'm looking for a serious comparison between 35 mm f/2 and 35 mm f/1.4 Asph.
>By serious, I mean a comparison of the optical performance of the two lenses
>at all apertures (I want to buy one, but I'm hesitating between them).
>Also, which one is the more compact (this point is quite important for me).
>Does anybody know the size of the two lenses, the diameter of the filter and
>so on...
>The compacity of the 35 f/2 is veru appreciable. What about the 35 f/1.4
Asph. ?