To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M35 f/1.4 Aspherical vs M35 f/1.4 Asph
From: Charles Albertson <chucko@eskimo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 18:23:58 -0800 (PST)

On 15 Mar 1996, Adrian Tanovic/GRFP/GRN wrote:

> All right, I'm confused.  What is the difference between the Aspherical and the
> Asph?  I've seen lenses with both inscriptions on the front, but had thought
> Leica just shortened the engraving on a subsequent production run.  From
> postings in this group I get the impression they are actually different
> lenses.  Eastland, inter alia, only mentions the Aspherical.  If these lenses
> are indeed different, it would be a masterpiece of confusing marketing.

	As I recall, the original Asperical design was to be a
limited-production run (around 2,000 units). Because of some production
problems (for example, I heard that only one person in the factory had
the requisite skill to polish some of the elements in a particular way),
they only cranked out half that number. Demand for the lens, though,
apparently, sparked a redesign that resulted in the comparatively cheaper
version on the market today (as much as $4500 for the original, versus
about $2800 for the current version). The redesign involved such
innovations as a molded plastic element, and I haven't heard of too many
complaints about image quality. (Mind you, some of the foregoing may fall
into the category of urban legend --- I can't claim to have a pipeline
into the factory.)
	And I recall a posting a few months back to the effect that the
Aspherical has displaced the Summilux from the Leica catalog. If true,
that means your choice of a fast 35 (new, anyway) will only be the
Aspherical.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: M35 f/1.4 Aspherical vs M35 f/1.4 Asph)