To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Polarizing filter on M6 (?)
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 19:56:38 -0500 (EST)

Leitz made at least two polarizing filters that could be used
successfully on M series cameras.  One was a 39mm thread that had an outer
ring with reference number engraved.  The filter was marked  "5cm
Summicron P" implying that if you were to use it on a 35mm it might
vignette.  I have used it successfully on the 50mm Summicron and 90mm
Tele-Elmarit.

The idea was to view the scene
through the filer rotating the filter until you achieved the effect you
wanted, note the reference number on top when you achieved the desired
orientation, screw the filter into the camera and then rotate the ring
with the refernce numbers until the refernce number is at the same
orientation as when you looked through it.  Another filter was a snap on
swing out affair.  You would clamp the filter on the lens and then swing
the front element 180 degrees so it overlaps the viewer.  Rotate the
filter while looking through the viewer until you achieve the effect
desired and then swing the filer back to the mount.  Both systems work
well but I prefer the rotating lens mount.

An old Leica Catalogue I have showed a catalogue number for the swing out
mount as 13396 and the engraved mount as 13356.  I have both filters and
neither has the catalogue number engraved on the mount.  Apparently these
filters will work successfully with any E-39 front end; Leitz also showed
a 13360 (engraved mount) and 13394 (swing out) for E-41 series as well as
a engraved mount for the E-43 series (13351).> > Hallo all Leica users, >

Hope this helps.  edwardk9@umcc.umich.edu