To: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Subject: Re: Update on M4-P Shutter problem
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 07:13:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, Eric Welch wrote:

> Jack Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > How can you forget to focus...???

I agree with Eric - for a change - the first courtship with a Leica
rangefinder - after a zillion years with the old split image SLR was a
real painful one!  I had more trash than good stuff until I practiced,
practiced, practiced!!!  Camera stores and everyone else in the real
world tell you to start reeling film thru a new camera like crazy----of
course they do!!!!  Just simple dry shooting for a couple of days to get
the unique feel of a Leica and mentally falling in love with it was my
cure.

Actually, the first time I took it into fairly dim lighting - scenes
virtually impossible to focus and shoot with a manual-focus SLR---I WAS
in love!!  The Leica viewfinder was as bright as the beach!  The dual
image snapped into view like a flash, I focused instinctively....and
I've never looked back.  I find focusing in bright light much more
difficult; the dim stuff is a snap with a Leica.  So, yes, it's not
impossible to "forget" to focus the first few experiences with a
Leica rangefinder.  Maybe it's the "old dog, new tricks" thing!