To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 135mm f/4.0 Tele-Elmar-M
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:54:25 -0500
Cc: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>

Two quick observations on Tom Hodge's note of earlier today.

First, the initial version of this lens was in production from 1965 until
1985 and remained available for some years thereafter.  This version has the
removeable head and was catalogue number 11851;  the lens head alone was 11852.
The "new" version -- same optical formula, but with fixed head and inbuilt
sunshade -- is 11861 and became available, I believe, in 1994.

Second, there no longer IS a "Leitz Canada" factory:  the Midland (Ontario)
plant was sold in 1989 or thereabouts to Hughes Avionics, though Leica
continues to manufacture a selected run of lenses there on contract.

And, by the way, I fully agree with the other posters:  I love mine and all
but ceased using my 2.8/135 Elmarit when I acquired the Tele-Elmar.  I've
loved the 135mm focal length for years -- and this lens, together with the
CZ Sonnar of equal specification -- are the 135mm's that I've found most
satisfactory for my purposes.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!