To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Non Leitz glass
From: jredfern@ftn.net (Jae Redfern)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 12:01 EST

>While not M-Mount lenses, all of the Canon screw mount rangefinder lenses
>are frequently used on Leica M's. Nay are very fine lenses. I use a Canon
>rfdr 19mm/f3.5 on my M6.

I would be most interested in knowing how would you rate its performance? I
would have thought that older lenses would be less performant in general
and the wider and older the worse. No?
How is the multicoating on such a vintage extreme wide angle? (Asuming that
it is multicoated)
        I have been in the market for a 21mm for a little while now and
have been daunted by the prices used examples seem to be fetching of late
(if you can find one).
         I'm still dithering over whether to just take the plunge and shell
out the asking price or settle for a third party as a temporary stop gap
until I can afford the Leitz.
The adorama would seem like a lot of money for a generic japanese lens and
has no guarantees of holding its value. Upon the recommendations of Mr
Small I have become interested in the Rusar 20mm. It is certainly cheap
enough but I have never seen one, let alone got my hands on one and have
yet to find any specs on it what so ever. Would anyone have any experience
with a third party 20-21mm or the Rusar in particular? I'd appreciate all
the help I could get.
        At the moment I'm using a Nikon FM2 with the Nikkor 20mm but it is
bulky and negates all the reasons I got into Leica in the first place as it
doesn't get the same level of use as the rest of my gear.
        Since I spend a lot of time photographing in the Eastern Arctic, my
main concerns are durability and flare from the high reflected light
levels. By far, most of my 35mm work is hand held black and white, so I can
put up with a little less than perfect Leitz sharpness at all apertures (at
least for now).
Any advice would be most greatly appreciated,
Jae

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: Non Leitz glass)
Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: Non Leitz glass)