To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica longevity, Leica's future, screw Leicas
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 16:51:50 +0000

In message <199603301446.JAA21765@gold.interlog.com>, Michael Reichmann
<michaelr@interlog.com> writes
>My point was simply that though only a small portion of the overall camera
>market over the past 75 years, if one looks at the used equipment shelves of
>most dealers, or the ads in magazines, what one sees is a proportion of
>Leica equipment at odds with the marks historical market share.

You're right, and I must confess that had never occurred to me before. A
cynic might say that everybody was always trying to get rid of their
Leica equipment, but I doubt very much if that's the reason. ;->
I'm actually considering whether to buy a screw Leica to put my 20/5.6
Russar on, and I have the strange sensation  of knowing that even with a
body from the 30's, I can almost certainly find one that will work well.
I think strictly speaking, anything over 50 years old is classed as an
antique. So be it.

Speaking of screw bodies, can anybody make any specific recommendations?
Slow speeds preferred to no slow speeds, flash sync not needed. Is there
anything I could pick up fairly cheaply that would be a good bet?

And further- (here's a question I don't remember anyone asking- quite)
is it worth considering a (Russian) Zorki body? Intention is to use for
slide film so accurate speeds needed.
--
joe b.