To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: screw Leicas
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 17:20:20 -0500

A III series camera will have slow speeds, with the IIIa on having 1/1000
top shutter speed. IIIa bodies are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
Same for IIIc bodies. The IIIc bodies (the post war ones), have the
rangefinder window and viewfinder windows closer together than the IIIa and
earlier bodies (so does the IIIb, but is less common)

The IIIf has flash sync, but costs more. The IIIg is the last and best of
the screw mount bodies. It has bright lines for the 50 and 90mm lenses and
automatic parallax correction, but is quite expensive, at least $1500 in
average condition and $2000 and up for really nice ones.

I use a IIIa, IIIf and IIIg and like them all. The IIIa goes with me all
the time to work and in the car. With a 50mm Elmar, it is very compact.

The Zorki bodies I've seen are pretty clunky. Better to try an old Canon.

kw

>Speaking of screw bodies, can anybody make any specific recommendations?
>Slow speeds preferred to no slow speeds, flash sync not needed. Is there
>anything I could pick up fairly cheaply that would be a good bet?
>
>And further- (here's a question I don't remember anyone asking- quite)
>is it worth considering a (Russian) Zorki body? Intention is to use for
>slide film so accurate speeds needed.
>--
>joe b.

----