To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: time to upgrade - advice sought
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 18:01:09 -0500
Cc: Paul Krzyzanowski <paul@research.att.com>

First, Leica and a variety of aftermarket companies made LTM to BM adaptors:
these are widely available, though not inexpensive -- the Leica ones run
about $US 75 used.  There are many, many fine LTM lenses which can thus be
used on an M Leica:  I use a lot of Zeiss and Russian lenses on my M6 this way.

Second, the M4 has become a collector's item only and is going up, up, up in
price:  this may change in the future, but I believe you can do better with
other models than with the straight M4.  The M4-2 and M4-P are the best buys
at the moment, though a solid user M6 can be had for not much more.  A solid
user M4-2 or M4-P will cost around $1,000, and a similar M6 will cost $1400
or less.  M4's, when they can be found at all, are starting to push $2,000.

Incidentally, if you have a IIIf rdst, this, too, is becoming a hot
collectible, and you ought to be able to realize $600 as a wholesale price
for one in E++ or better condition.

Third, the light meter in the M6 is almost frighteningly accurate.  I
cheerfully sold my M4 once I owned an M6 and realized that I simply never
used the M4 any more.  In addition, the M6 is not as "adjustable" as the M4:
many of the internal components are now fixed in place.  This has the down
side that a minor adjustment on an M4 would be a repair on an M6, but there
is far less to get out of adjustment if you, like I do, use your cameras
heavily.

Finally, the "quick load" arrangement used on the M4, M4-2, M4-P, and M6
Leicas still requires trimming of the film leader.  The earlier M's and the
M5 do not.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!