To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: loading screwmount Leicas
From: Nick Jackson <jacks@pop.jaring.my>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 10:06:25 +0800

Jack Campin wrote:

> What I do is shove a piece of scrap 120 film (with the emulsion cleaned off,
> but this may be over-fussy) into the film path, hard against the cassette
> side, as far down as it'll go.  You can feel something click when you've got
> it.  Then push the cassette and takeup spool down into place with the film
> behind this.

Jack , do you trim the film as well or is this in plae of trimming?

I didn't think I had a problem loading my IIIc until I read this.  I have never come across anything that
clicks, but I have another problem that maybe means I should!  All my films come out with the
edge of the frame almost touching the perforations on one side of the film - is this related to the
click problem?  I haven't established whether I am pushing it in to far ( which seems unlikely), or
not far enough, in which case the bottom surely wouldn't fit back on.

Another unrelated problem (Ithink) is that around frames 32, 33 the shutter/wind on mechanism
seems to misfire either opening too long, or not at all- usually not at all.  I always seem to get either
a blank frame or white frame around that point on the film.  It seems to have something to do with
the amount of film on the spool as I get no problem at all without film in - can fire as many shots as
you like without problems.

Any suggestions from those more experienced than I with the foibles of the screw cameras?

Nick Jackson

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia