To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Film leader ...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 10:21:47 -0500
Cc: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

Brian

I follow the old-camera market and do a bit of vending:  such profits as I
realize go to support my Leica habit.

On grading:  many collectors are, well, unreasonable and suspicious.  I
always try to grade down, and not up:  I'd rather someone called me up and
said, "gee, I was quite pleasantly surprised", rather than, "you dirty,
cheating crook".  Having had both sorts of calls, I'll opt for the former.
(Oh, and I ALWAYS give a 10 day MBG, no quibbles, no questions asked.  I
expect the same when I buy.)

Having said that, here's a rough guide for the industry standards:

MINT:  no visible wear.  camera is completely functional in all respects.
vulcanite is complete and in good shape.  no wear marks on top or base
plate.  (I reserve MINT when I sell to items still sealed in their original
box:  that way, if the buyer is disappointed, he can't blame me!)

EXCELLENT PLUS:  Like MINT save that the most minute wear is allowed.

EXCELLENT:  Above average in condition given its age.  Completely functional.

EXCELLENT MINUS:  about average for its age.  Completely functional.

VERY GOOD:  below average, may have mechanical defects or missing vulcanite, &c.

I'd recommend you have someone else grade your gear:  we all overgrade our
own stuff!

As to values on a IIIf:  these are retail, and a dealer would offer you
about 60% of these figures:

IIIf bd:  $200 to $500
IIIf rd:  $300 to $600
IIIf rdst:  $500 to $1500

The IIIf rdst's are now the HOT collectibles, as there simply are very few
IIIg's available any more.

Hope this helps!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315