To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50 Summicron-M subtleties
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:38:52 +0100

In message <v01520c02ad8f08099800@[128.114.25.206]>, "Charles E. Dunlap"
<cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu> writes
>I will be buying my own 50 Summicron-M soon and would like to know if
>anyone finds the finger rest indispensible. I haven't used the camera
>enough to be able to focus by instinct using the finger rest position. If I
>buy the new lens then I will not have this option (it still exists on the
>35 and 28), but I will have a much more convenient (to me) lens hood.

Not indispensible, but surprisingly helpful all of a sudden. When I got
the new 50 Elmar I was pleased to find no finger rest/focusing lever on
it. But recently I have been having physical problems with my left hand
( I have an illness called ME that makes me weak and subject to strange
physical limitations) and find that not having to grip and rotate a
normal focusing ring is now suddenly very much preferable for me. So my
old 50 Elmar is now preferable to the new one, but of course the
focusing lever is of a different type to that of the modern rigid
Summicron. But that type is also preferable (for me) to just a focusing
ring as per normal lenses.

But none of that applies in your case. The detachable lens hood is a
hassle. Given no physical need for a focusing lever/finger rest and no
other objections I'd consider going for the newer type.
--
joe b.