To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Phillistines who own Leicas (fwd)
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 11:18:05 -0400 (EDT)

	CMonck:

	I have a couple of quick questions for you:

1)  How have you been metering the shots?  If you are using a Leica meter
mounted to the top of the camera, remember that it should be tested and
could need recalibration.  Also remember that even the most accurate
reflected light meter is intended to give you a middle gray.  That means
that if you point it at something dark, it will have you over-expose it
and if you point it at something bright, it will have you underexpose
it.  Since the varied lighting in many scenes balances out to something
close to a middle gray, this often doesn't matter much, but it can make
a huge difference in some circumstances.
	Also, if you haven't already done so, I would strongly suggest
getting your hands on the last edition of Ansel Adam's book  The Negative
and reading the first two or three chapters where exposure and the zone
system are explained.  Alternatively, you could get a copy of Fred
Picker's Zone VI Workshop.  There are probably other good books out there
about the Zone system.  The Zone system is much easier to grasp than many
technophiles and understanding the principles by which is works are, in my
opinion, extremely useful even if you never use the system.  Reading the
first few pages of Picker's book provided me with a much better
conceptual grasp of the interaction between film, exposure, and
development than I had after a couple of years as an interested amateur.
I often use an incident light meter - a big no-no for Zone
system afficianados, I am told - but find that I get much more out of
using it than I did before I had read Picker and Adams.

2)  My second question for you is "what kind of film are you using"?
Some newer emulsions are very very picky about development times and
temperatures - Tmax 100 and 400 are notorious in that respect.  You might
want to try shooting something really forgiving, like Plus-X Pan, Tri-X,
or the Agfa films.  It seems to be frighteningly easy to over- or under-
develope the TMax films.

I am sending this to your e-mail address in case you have not been
reading the group, but I will post it to the group as well.  I am sure
that a number of people will be willing to help you.  Just let us know a
little more about what you have been doing.

Hope this helps
Gary Toop