To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Zone system and roll film
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 12:34:07 -0700

Some here have been criticizing the utility of the zone system for roll
film users. Others, rightly, have defended it. I didn't get acceptable
results until I put the zone system into practice in my 35mm work. I
learned from Ansel Adams's chapter in an early seventies Leica Manual. He
clearly describes the practical sensitometry that the zone system
provides and how to apply it to roll film. He wasn't a curmudgeonly man
who thought that only large format photographs had value, and the zone
system is not purely an exposure system. As he emphasized over and over,
the zone system requires that we have a mental image of what we want to
see in the photograph and the system provides a sound method for
obtaining that result.

-Charlie

Charles E. Dunlap
Earth Sciences Dept.