To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: the zone system vs. the Big Picture
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:49:04 -0700

>A further problem with this: for many kinds of photography, you simply
>cannot plan an image like this - you know that the situation you're in
>is evolving in an interesting way, and you know when the moment arrives
>to take the picture, but the precise composition and tonal structure of
>that picture is not knowable in advance; you may only know what you've
>got after you've done the processing.

That isn't true at all. Once you have an idea of what the Zone system's
principles can do, it takes no more time to take a picture than any other
way of understanding exposure. The Zone system has nothing to do with
composition. And Adam's range of work was much wider than you imply,
including reportage (Manzanar relocation camps). Portraits, commercial,
advertising, public relations, etc. And if you can't visualize what the
picture is to be in your mind before you take the picture, tonality wise,
then get a point and shoot and use color neg. film. Black and white
photography these days is where control makes all the difference. Color is a
breeze in comparison. Maybe neophytes need to start with Color Neg film? I
don't think so. I learned on Kodachrome, and it really got me in line with
exposure real fast.
Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier