To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The autofocus Leica M...who cares?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 17:11:18 -0700

At 03:37 PM 4/22/96 -0400, you wrote:

>I've never understood this fetish with autofocus.  Sure, if one's forte is
>shooting sports or anything else where focusing is problematic, AF is great.
>But, for most people who shoot portraits, landscape, nature, still lifes,
>citscapes, abstracts etc, what's the big deal about focusing?

As a matter of fact, if your eyes are good, when the speed of focusing isn't
important, AF is a detriment. I heard some magazine did a test comparing AF
systems to manual focusing, and it turns out the manual focusing is more
accurate, except when speed is of the essence. So what you say is very true,
but more things than sports can benefit from AF. But it should be like auto
expsoure, used when it's appropriate.

And it's a funny thing, when I'm shooting sports, I rarely use auto
expsoure, but I do use AF.
Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: The autofocus Leica M...who cares?)