To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Minimum aperture question:
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:30:52 +0200

>Also notice that there is another smaller opening beyond the f16 detent. It
>is definitely a smaller hole, and is right against the ring's mechanical
>stop. Wonder what f stop it is equivilent to?

I also noticed this "smallest aperture" on my 50mm Summicron which is about twenty years old. (I mentioned this in an earlier thread.) The 35mm Summicron that I recently bought and that is almost brand-new doesn't have this "feature". Therefore I suppose that the "extra f-stop" isn't intentional but a result of heavy usage of the former owner(s) - although I hate the idea that the aperture ring of a Leica lens wears out that way...

I haven't done any test yet to find out if I really get something like f22 (or at least "half of it") with it. If you do please let us know.

Bye, Edi.