To: cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu
Subject: Re: 50 Summicron DR
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 18:24:06 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

At 02:27 PM 4/27/96 -0700, Charles E. Dunlap wrote:

>I've never seen the lens, so I have one more question: what are the eyes,
>are they something that travel seperately from the lens until needed or
>are they part of the lens that you can put into position for NF? When you
>say pulling the lens out do you mean taking it off of the camera?

The 'eyes' are the optical attachment which fit over the two rangefinder
windows to adjust the focusing to the 'near focus' range.  This is a small
assembly which clips onto the bridge of the lens.  After the eyes are in
place, the lens is pulled forward slightly to allow the focusing ring to
move over a stop which allows the near-focus range to be used.  When not in
use, the eyes are carried separately.  Leica US made a small leather case
and I believe the Wetzlar folks made a special leather lens case which
included space for the eyes though I've never seen one.  I use the US case
for the eyes.

At no point does the lens have to be removed from the camera.

There is a recent and rather exhaustive article on the NF Summicron by Roy
Moss in Viewfinder.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!