To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Some reflections; Leica thoughts
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:32:10 -0400 (EDT)

	I read Curt's comments on film choices and techniques and
Eric's and Marc's respose to those comments with some interest.  I have
been thinking of putting up a short posting on my own experiences and
soliciting other's views, so I will add a few comments of my own to what
has already been posted.

1)  Like Marc, I have found contrast control with TMax 400 to be a bit of
a problem.  I am careful, but I don't have regular access to a good
darkroom and so temperature control could be the problem.  I have found
Delta 400 to be much easier to control and to give very nice results if
souped in HC110 and I have heard that D-76/ID-11 work well with it too.
However, I am finicky about mid-range contrast and I find that I have
a (very personal, subjective) preference for the very smooth tonal scale
that I can get with HP5+ when I am shooting with my Leica.  It seems to
be a cheaper, less finicky alternative to TMax 400, although admittedly,
it does not have as fine grain.  I like to develop it in Edwal's FG-7
which gives a tight, sharp grain pattern and a very pretty tonal scale.
It works well with HC110 too and it is supposed to work very nicely with
Microphen.
	Incidentally, I had an extended e-mail chat with a fellow who
posts on rec.photo.darkroom about Microphen, which he has come to use
all the time with TMax films.  He swears that at 1:3 and 75F it works
very well with both TMax 100 and TMax 400 and that it is easier to
control contrast with it than with TMax RS developer.

2)  Like Curt, my preferences in a medium speed film have not yet
completely settled.  It looks as though I will probably settle on either
TMax 100, Delta 100 or FP4+, probably one of the latter two.  However, I
do not really like what HC110 does with medium speed films, even at a
fairly high dilution.
	Popular Photography ran an article in Dec `79 in
which they argued that when you developed both the medium and the high
speed films of the day in D-76, there really wasn't much reason for
preferring the medium to the high speed films.  FP4 in D-76 just wasn't
that much better than Tri-X in D76:  the grain was only marginally
smaller and the tonal content only a little better.  They suggested that
to get the most out of medium speed films, you need a developer that
gives you high accutance and squeezes every bit of tonal information out
of your negatives.  Their vote went to Rodinal at a 1:50, 1:75 or 1:100
dilutions.
	Although I think that HC110 does better on the accutance/tonal
scale front than does D-76, and we are now dealing with a new generation
of films,  I still have a definite preference for Rodinal when it comes
to medium speed and slow films.  It has a reputation for producing very
grainy negs, but in my experience, it only does that when you start
trying to push the film:  even just a couple of extra minutes in the
developer can give you much more noticable grain.  (That said, it is
possible to increase contrast with Rodinal by lowering the dilution to
1:25, so Zone system control is certainly not ruled out.)  I have recently
been discussing Rodinal's merits with a fellow who has been using it for
many years and insists that unless you overdevelop it, you won't notice
the difference in grain between it and D-76 until you get up to fairly
high degrees of enlargement - say 8x.  I have found that the grain I get
with TMax 100 is only marginally larger than what I get using TMax RS
developer.   The only penalty that I have noticed is that you might lose
a little speed - usually 1/3 of stop compared to D-76 - but you also tend
to get a little better shadow detail, so that may only matter if you are
really worried about Zone 1 densities.  The speed loss seems to vary
tremendously with film type too.

	Like Marc, I can recommend the Rodinal 1:50/TMax 100 combination,
although I usually shoot it at ISO 64 or 50:  the negatives are very
sharp and have an enormous amount of detail and the tones are very
nicely distinguished.  I have only used a little Delta 100/Rodinal, but I
like the results that I have been able to get and many people have been
reporting very good results and high ISOs with the combination.  I plan
to do more experimenting and this may well turn out to be the combination
that I go with, as it seems to be very sharp, easy to control, and to
have a very nice `feel'.   That said, I have found that FP4+ seems to
have a smoother tonal scale and that, like HP5+, I like the `feel' of
that scale with my Summicron.

3) Pan F+ and APX25 both are wonderful in Rodinal 1:50.

Well, that's about all that I have to pass on for now.  I look forward to
hearing about others' favourite combinations:  this discussion has been
very interesting.

Gary Toop

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: Some ===> Favorite films/processing)