To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Some reflections; Leica thoughts
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:20:55 -0700

At 02:32 PM 4/29/96 -0400, you wrote:

>1)  Like Marc, I have found contrast control with TMax 400 to be a bit of
>a problem.  I am careful, but I don't have regular access to a good

Kodak knew they were taking the bull by the horns with they made T-Max 400.
They specifically made it much more senstive the processing variables so
that careful photographers would have more control with it. Which is
probably one (of many) reason(s) they don't intend to discontinue Tri-X.

John Sexton has taken pictures with T-Max films for his upcoming book on
Industrial Power, or whatever it's going to be called, that are going to
really show what can be done with this film. He processes it in Jobo
processors with T-Max developer at 1:9 and higher dilutions. Like HC-110, it
works softer at higher dilutions, but it has the advantage of being much
more energetic, so that instead of having to use 16 oz. for one roll you can
use 8 oz. even at dilutions up to 1:15. So a four reel tank can do four
rolls instead of two.

He has one picture of the inside of some power plant, and the tonal range is
so wide you can see the elements inside the light bulbs in the ceiling
glowing instead of being blown out as otherwise would be expected. And the
overall tonal range is smooth as silk.

Pays to have Ansel Adams for a teacher, eh? <g>

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier