To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica advances ..was `Summicron 35 hood'
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 08:35:17 -0700

At 10:32 AM 5/6/96 -0400, you wrote:

>	It's not a question of "mass market". It's a question of
>	technical obsolescence.
>
>	If a company doesn't pioneer the next generation of lenses
>	someone else will and no matter what their name, they will
>	become extinct (or be relegated to a museum)!

Leica IS pioneering the next generation of lenses, withing the paramaters
they've set for themselves. The 70-180 2.8 Apo Zoom, the 280 f/4 Apo Telyt,
the 100 Apo Macro, all newer lenses in their line, along with others - a new
Noctilux is coming, a 24mm M lens, an aspheric 21, and no doubt more coming
for the M and R lines over the next several years boosted by the public
offering of stock on Leica itself.

If the 35 Aspheric and the others I mention that are already here are any
indication of what Leica have up it's sleeve, all I can say to other camera
manufacturers is, eat your heart out. Optically they have nothing to
compete. They may focus faster, but that's a rather specialized need.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier