To: biggest@mindvox.phantom.com
Subject: lab problems
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@mindvox.phantom.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 16:37:37 -0400 (EDT)

Many years ago, about 1958 or 59,  I was an editor at Modern Photography
magazine. We used a famous black-and-white lab in NYC. The lab, I believe,
had something to do with printing the Family of Man exhibit at MOMA.
The head honcho  told me that Henri Cartier-Bresson was in town
shooting. He used the new Agfa high speed black and white Isopan
Record, said to be about ASA (ISO) 800, but pushable to big numbers,
such as E.I.1,600 and 3,200, WHEN DEVELOPED AT A VERY LOW DIULUTION
WITH AGFA RODINAL. The lab guy told me that he didn't know about
the special development required, and attempted to process Cartier-
Bresson's film in the usual D-76, slightly diluted and replenished.
Ergo...very faint images were the result, even with the inspection
development  and greatly extended times.
I explained to the lab chief about Rodinal and the low dilution,
just in case Monsieur Cartier-Bresson ever came back. I doubt it.

--QAB03956.831501460/mindvox.phantom.com--