To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica hits the sand
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 07:48:09 -0700

At 12:24 PM 5/8/96 +0000, you wrote:

>> Neck strap act as a parachute? Right. This is a joke, and I'm overreacting
>> to your note, eh?
>
>It *could* make the difference between 400km/h and 100km/h.
>You need only twice the surface to get the latter instead of the
>first....
>The average human does 200km/h in a free fall. I think the
>weight/surface ratio of a Leica is a tad higher though....;-))

No doubt about it. But a neckstrap twice the surface area of an SL? You must
have never seen an SL. They are MOOSES! <G> In fact, there may have not even
been a neck strap for all we know, they can get in the way when in cramped
quarters (I was just shooting in a Cessna yesterday trying to photography
the pilot and my strap got in the way more than once) and the SL's motor has
a good grip (though in a strange place). Who knows? Back in those days were
there those lame wide straps we see so much of these days? I've only been
shooting since '78.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier