To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: HCB
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 May 96 12:39:05 -0700

I'd like to thank Laurent Saminadayar for his informative, entertaining,
and detailed post. I'm sure it will generate questions from many of us,
and I'd like to post mine here so any reply can be shared with all.

When looking at original prints of Cartier-Bresson's (at A Gallery for
Fine Photography on Royal St. in New Orleans--a wonderful place if you
ever visit) I noticed that although they were enlarged quite a bit
(16x20"), the grain was soft and hardly noticeable. Is this just a result
of the particular paper and enlarger used (the Omega?--with what lens?)
or is there a technique employed to smooth out the grain?

Secondly, I'm sure we'd all like to hear a little more about the exposure
and development of Tri-X. Is the film treated as 400 ASA and underexposed
by a 1/2 or whole stop? Or is it found to be closer to 200 ASA in your
experience and exposed as if it were 400 ASA? For development what
developer/time/temp/agitation are used? Any such details will be of great
interest.

Thanks again for taking the time to write about these things. I hope your
WE has been or is enjoyable.

-Charlie

Charles E. Dunlap
Earth Sciences Dept.