To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Only 100,000 exposures???
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 15:53:01 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@mail.a1.nl>

On 13 May 96 at 13:20, Edi Weitz wrote about "Only 100,000
exposures???":

> Hi Group!
>
> Last weekend I was in Cologne and discovered a nice camera store
> called "Foto Gregor" [located at the "Neumarkt" place in the
> city's center]. They have an extra room for Leicas filled with
> many show cases full of new and used Leicas. Mainly collectors will
> be impressed by their huge collection of special editions, I
> think. E.g., they had an M6 with Michael Schumacher's autograph
> engraved... [He , who buys something like that??]

I think Leica is pretty slick in inventing limited
editions/collector items. Wasn't there a special series recently
made for a VIP in the Middle-East?

> But I'm digressing. I took with me the Leica brochures about the
> R6.2 and the R7. Although I'm only interested in rangefinder
> cameras I like the Leica pamphlets and thought it to be a good
> reading for the train. To my surprise I found out that both
> pamphlets had the following sentence in it:

>         "Leica R cameras are designed for at least 100,000 exposures."
>         [My own translation]
>
> OK, they didn't write that your Leica will take itself apart after
> you made exposure number 100,000 but - 100,000 exposures isn't
> that much for professional use, or am I wrong? Is this a typo or
> wha ? Any hints?

A Nikon F4 is rated for 160,000, the F90 for 80,000.
Never saw numbers for EOS.
Perhaps 100.000 is the amount it takes *without* servicing....not
sure whether either F4 or EOS-1 does the same....

Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

The difference
between men and boys
is the price of their toys